Data Quality Committee
Quality is a key priority for our whole community! The Data Quality Committee works to address key data quality issues over time.
Formally defined as a Europeana Network and EuropeanaTech Working Group, the Data Quality Committee is a standing committee that works on the various facets of the data quality challenge over time with a particular focus on reuse and discovery of cultural heritage scenarios. We believe it is crucial to tackle data quality issues at every level of the data exchange chain from its creation to its publication. We have gathered together experts from various backgrounds (metadata experts, software developers, search and retrieval experts) to help us capture all the issues.
Work areas as well as specific tasks will be defined and prioritized as the Committee sees fits and regularly reported and submitted for ratification to the community, notably the Europeana Aggregator Forum. Items such as mandatory elements for ingestion of EDM data, data checking and normalisation, data completeness have been already added on the menu.
We defined our main requirements in terms of discovery and information-retrieval requirements. A series of usage scenarios have been created reflecting information-access user needs (based on the Europeana user personas), listing current metadata issues for a given scenario and then proposing future actions. These scenarios focus specifically on metadata and are not tackling any challenges regarding the user interface or the user experience in Europeana Collections.
Multilingual saturation score
is a score for multilinguality which can be applied on statement, property or record level. We defined a simplified schema which is the basis for the measurement assuming that each statement in a property can have one of the following values: a literal, a literal with a language tag, a URI (ideally to a controlled vocabulary). Learn more in this presentation.
Note that the implementation work described in this presentation is still ongoing and is subject to changes.
We publish regular updates on our progresses.
Update as part of MS2: Updated partner and data development plan, 30 June 2016
2016 Report , 31 December 2016
- Metadata Quality Assurance Framework at QQML2016 conference - full version from Péter Király
- Metadata quality Assurance Framework at QQML2016 - short from Péter Király
- Improving data quality at Europeana: New requirements and methodes for better measuring metadata quality, SWIB16, Péter Király (Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen), Hugo Manguinhas, Valentine Charles, Antoine Isaac, Timothy Hill (Europeana Foundation)
- Multilinguality of metadata, Measuring the Multilingual Degree of Europeana‘s Metadata, 15th International Symposium of Information Science (ISI 2017), Berlin, 13.03.2017 - 15.03.2017, Juliane Stiller (Berlin School of Library and Information Science, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin ) and Péter Király (Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen). The PDF of the paper is available at https://edoc.hu-berlin.de/docviews/abstract.php?lang=ger&id=43375
- Multilinguality of metadata, Measuring the Multilingual Degree of Europeana‘s Metadata, SI & IT Workshop, Göttingen, May 11, 2017, Juliane Stiller (Berlin School of Library and Information Science, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin ) and Péter Király (Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen)