Project Sustainability Planning
If your content-related Europeana project is nearing its end, you must start planning for how the results will be sustained. There are three main scenarios that you might find yourself in when your project finishes:
- The project ends and there are no ongoing activities or funding
- A follow-up project continues within the current project structure
- The project takes on the role of an aggregator either as a ‘dark aggregator’ or an ‘aggregator with own portal’
Experience gained from various projects and aggregators offers the following insights in helping your project 'shift':
- Start thinking about sustainability plans as early as possible, even from the beginning of the project.
- At least six months before the end of the project, get in touch with Europeana to discuss your re-routing options and agree on next steps.
- Conduct a survey to collect relevant information from your project partners about their plans after the project. Share your survey results with Europeana, so the database can be updated with contact information and the status of aggregation.
- It is highly recommended that all project partners register for the Europeana Network. It is the best way to stay informed about Europeana developments.
Image: Avond; De rode boom, courtesy of Gemeentemuseum Den Haag, Public Domain Mark.
Key questions for Project Coordinators:
- Is there a task in the workplan focusing on sustainability? Focus on how to continue the relationship with partners and delivery of their data after the project ends.
- Which of the three scenarios applies to your project? An analysis of the opportunities and threats for each scenario could be useful and re-used in a sustainability plan.
- Are all partners in the project committed to making their digitised data available to Europeana after the project?
- Where and how will your project documenation be archived? Can everything be made public now?
Project Shift Guidelines
In order to ensure project sustainability and to guide you through best practice, please review The Project Shift Guidelines below. We will work with you to find the most suitable solution for your project.