Senior System Administrator
Monthly gross salary will be between EUR €3,568 - 3,922
Position type: Full time
The Hague, The Netherlands
Across Europe, museums, galleries and archives are digitizing their collections. Europeana brings them together online and works hard to make sure people can find and use them. For work, for learning or just for fun.
We work with a network of cultural organizations to provide creative and innovative forms of access to culture. Our work is guided by creative collaboration, supportive teamwork and the idea that sharing and reusing cultural content can transform the world. We represent centuries of trusted guardianship by Europe’s cultural institutions so must always ensure that whilst we’re pushing the boundaries of what’s possible with today’s technology, our products and resources are robust and reliable. Our office is based in the National Library of the Netherlands, next to The Hague Central Station.
We are looking for a Senior System Administrator who will: Have experience in system administration and software development. Who is passionate about applying her/his skills in the cultural heritage domain and working in an international environment. And who will also responsible for powerful systems for aggregating cultural content using cloud technologies.
As the senior System administrator, you will be joining a team of 12 with colleagues from various backgrounds and countries. The team members are divided into three component Scrum teams: Data ingestion & management, APIs & Search, and Europeana Collections. You will be responsible for the infrastructure that powers all our products. The team is critical for Europeana’s mission: “We want to build on Europe’s rich (digital) heritage and make it easier for people to use, whether for work, for learning or just for fun. We believe that we can transform the world with culture.” We work only with Open Source software and we also make our own software available as Open Source. You will be encouraged to give back to the Open Source community and share your experience and knowledge with your teammates, and also with other developers in the libraries, archives and museum communities.
- Perform system administration for systems running on Linux platforms (Ubuntu/Debian)
- Perform research, analysis, problem re-creation, troubleshooting and identify potential resolutions for operating systems, application and resource contingency issues
- Maintain system security and integrity controls. Help to formulate policies, procedures and standards relating to system administration and management
- Develop system monitoring capacities. Conduct daily system monitoring and system maintenance activities
- Maintain documentation related to system administration and operations. Investigate system performance issues to improve its reliability, maintainability and performance of the system
- Perform and manage deployments to production and staging environments
- Support Linux systems and run applications developed using Java platform
- Develop and implement backup policies
- Work closely with the development team to support it in system-related tasks
Knowledge and Experience required
- University level education in computer science or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5+ years of system administration experience
- Significant understanding and knowledge of system administration, database and server-side programming concepts
- Installation, configuration and system administration experience with Linux, Ansible, MySQL, MongoDB, Apache Solr, Apache Cassandra, OpenStack
- Experience in setting up and configuration of Jenkins
- Experience with Cloud Foundry is an advantage
- Experience in setting up and configuring monitoring solutions like Nagios
- Experience in software development in Java or Ruby is an advantage
- Good written and spoken English with an ability to express complex technical ideas to a non-technical audience
- Open minded, rich in new ideas, has a practical approach, team player
Key relationships / customers
- Partners in EU and other projects
- Europeana Tech Network
- Continental Digital Library Technical and Data Directors
- Europeana Stakeholders and Users
- Additionally, you will receive a (pro-rated) holiday allowance of 8% and an annual (year end, pro-rated) bonus of 8.33%.
- 1 year fixed term contract with possibility of extension depending on funding availability.
- We offer 42.25 days holiday per year (based on full-time employment).
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please send your Curriculum Vitae plus motivation letter, both in English, to email@example.com