Governing Board of Europeana Foundation
Europeana is owned by the Europeana Foundation, a Dutch Foundation. It has a Governing Board, which meets four times per year to set strategy and policy and review plans against goals and objectives. The members of the Board are legally and financially responsible for the activities of the Foundation, as such they also act as the Steering Board for all major projects funded by the European Commission. They are responsible for the appointing of the Executive Director to carry out on their behalf the work set out in Europeana Strategy 2020 and the yearly Business Plans.
The Governing Board consists of 19 members:
- 2 members appointed by and representing the Founding Members,
- 6 members appointed by Europeana Network Association form its Management Board,
- 4 members appointed by the Governing Board as representatives of European Associations of Content Holders,
- 4 members appointed by the Governing Board as representatives of fields of expertise required to deliver the Europeana strategy,
for a period of 2 years.
- 3 members as representatives of the European Union Member States holding the Presidency of the Council, the preceeding and the succeeding presidencies, rotating every 6 months and each on the Governing Board for 18 months.
The Governing Board appoints the Chair, Vice Chair and Treasurer from amongst its members.
The Governing Board may appoint observers who can attend all the meetings but do not have voting rights. The observers may be appointed:
- by nomination and approval of the majority of Board members,
- to represent the European Union Member States (preceding and succeeding Presidencies),
- as former members of the Governing Board,
- as a representative of the European Commission.
Network Association Management Board Member
Representative of Content Holder Associations
Representative of Specific Fields of Expertise
Member States Representative
Governance of Europeana Foundation
Deed of Amendment to the Statutes of Europeana Foundation - 15 November 2016 (Dutch and English)
Deed of Amendment to the Statutes of Europeana Foundation - September 2015 (English)
Statutenwijziging Stichting Europeana – September 2015 (nederlandse)
Europeana Foundation Bylaws – 30 June 2015
Deed of Amendment to Statutes of Europeana Foundation - October 2010
Articles of Association - Stichting European Digital Library - November 2007